(by Ana Grimh, CDPT-KA; adapted from an APDT article, 'The Benefits of Training')
As we reach the end of the APDT's National Train Your Dog Month, Teacher's Pet would like to reflect on some of the fabulous reasons why one should attend training classes.
1. Puppy classes provide the opportunity for getting your new family member started off right (especially with regard to socialization).
2. Training classes provide owners with the tools to deal with common, normal doggy behaviors, such as housetraining, polite greetings, etc.
3. No matter what age you start training your dog, foundation training provides the basis for any
activity, behavior or job you want your dog to do.
4. Training provides dogs with basic manners that humans love - ie., politely greeting other humans, coming when called, walking nicely on leash.
5. A trained dog can participate in all family activities. Good manners are generally welcomed by other people!
6. Training enables you to choose from among a broad range of activities and dog sports to participate in and enjoy with your dog, such as agility, canine freestyle, therapy work, etc.
7. Training has been shown to be the single most important thing that keeps a dog
in his or her “forever” home.
8. Training builds your mutual bond, enhances the partnership and enriches the
relationship you share with your dog.
We are sure you can think of many more reasons why training class is important for you and your dog! Check out our website: www.teacherspettraining.com for class schedules!